An Indian-inspired dish for your chicken makes a bright, summery idea for a cookout or barbecue besides the usual burgers and hot dogs. Turmeric is such a healthy spice, and it’s softened, sweetened, and refreshed by the cilantro, lime, and coconut dip.
Serve your turmeric chicken skewers with Coconut Rice and Cucumber and Mint Raita.
- 2 tablespoons cilantro stems, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons whole white peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1.5-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1 cup coconut milk, full fat
- Combine cilantro stems, white pepper, coriander, and garlic in a mortar and pestle and pound into a fine paste. This can also be done in a small food processor.
- In a large mixing bowl add fish sauce, oyster sauce, ground turmeric, brown sugar, and the prepared paste.
- Mix everything together well and add chicken. Toss until chicken is well coated. Add cover, and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- In a small bowl add lime zest, juice, cilantro, and the coconut milk until you have reached your favorite consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Thread the chicken pieces onto soaked bamboo skewers, pushing them tightly against each other to form a tight, compact body of meat on the skewers.
- Heat a cast-iron grill pan until very hot. Spray with canola oil before placing a few skewers at a time onto the pan.
- Grill the chicken, turning occasionally, until thoroughly cooked through and slightly charred, about 8 minutes total. Remove the chicken from the grill and serve with the coconut dip.